Published on February 8th, 2019 📆 | 5186 Views ⚑0
CANalyzat0r – Security Analysis Toolkit For Proprietary Car Protocols
This software project is a result of a Bachelor's thesis created at SCHUTZWERK in collaboration with Aalen University by Philipp Schmied.
Please refer to the corresponding blog post for more information.
Why another CAN tool?
- Built from scratch with new ideas for analysis mechanisms
- Bundles features of many other tools in one place
- Modular and extensible: Read the docs and implement your own analysis mechanisms
- Comfortable analysis using a GUI
- Manage work in separate projects using a database
- Documentation: Read the docs if you need a manual or technical info.
Installing and running:
sudo ./install_requirements.shalong with
sudo -E ./CANalyzat0r.sh. This will create a folder called
pipenvenvironment in it.
- Or just use the docker version which is recommended at this time (Check the
README.mdfile in the subdirectory)
For more information, read the HTML or PDF version of the documentation in the
- Manage interface configuration (automatic loading of kernel modules, manage physical and virtual SocketCAN devices)
- Multi interface support
- Manage your work in projects. You can also import and export them in the human readable/editable JSON format
- Logging of all actions
- Graphical sniffing
- Manage findings, dumps and known packets per project
- Easy copy and paste between tabs. Also, you can just paste your SocketCAN files into a table that allows pasting
- Threaded Sending, Fuzzing and Sniffing
- Sniffing at the same time
- Add multiple analyzing threads on the GUI
- Ignore packets when sniffing - Automatically filter unique packets by ID or data and ID
- Compare dumps
- Allows setting up complex setups using only one window
- Clean organization in tabs for each analysis task
- Binary packet filtering with randomization
- Search for action specific packets using background noise filtering
- SQLite support
- Fuzz and change the values on the fly
You can use the Instrument Cluster Simulator in order to tinker with a virtual CAN bus without having to attach real CAN devices to your machine.
Empty GUI Windows
Please make sure that the
QT_X11_NO_MITSHM environment variable is set to
1. When using
sudo, please include the
-Eoption in order to preserve this environment variable as follows:
sudo -E ./CANalyzat0r.sh.
Fixing the GUI style
This application has to be run as superuser. Because of a missing configuration, the displayed style can be set to an unwanted value when the effective UID is 0. To fix this behaviour, follow these steps:
- Quick way: Execute
echo "[QT]\nstyle=CleanLooks" >> ~/.config/Trolltech.conf
- Alternative way:
- Install qt4-qtconfig:
sudo apt-get install qt4-qtconfig
- Run qtconfig-qt4 as superuser and change the GUI style to CleanLooks or GTK+
- Install qt4-qtconfig:
- Or use the docker container