It works like your Fingerprint option to unlock your Mobile. As compared to other form security settings, security keys are more relevant option to choose. Security Keys for Facebook logins work with Mobile devices and web browsers. You need to be updated your Web browser like Chrome to add security Key from your Computer.
What is Security Key?
It is a USB based Hardware key, once you log into a service that supports they key, all you need to do is insert the key into a port and tap it to complete your login — no SMS or Google Authenticator codes required. Keys typically support several security features and standards, like one-time passwords, public key encryption and authentication, and the Universal 2nd Factor (U2F)
Universal 2nd Factor (U2F) is an open authentication standard that strengthens and simplifies two-factor authentication using specialized USB or NFC devices based on similar security technology found in smart cards.While initially developed by Google and Yubico, with contribution from NXP Semiconductors.
Using security keys for two-factor authentication provides a number of important benefits:
- Phishing protection: Your login is practically immune to phishing because you don't have to enter a code yourself and the hardware provides cryptographic proof that it's in your machine.
- Interoperable: Security keys that support U2F don't just work for Facebook accounts. You can use the same key for any supported online account (e.g. Google, Dropbox, GitHub, Salesforce), and those accounts can stay safe because the key doesn't retain any records of where it is used.
- Fast login: If you use a security key with your desktop computer, logging in is as simple as a tap on the key after your enter your password.
Currently, this will not work with Facebook App. but if you have an NFC-capable Android device with the latest version of Chrome and Google Authenticator installed, you can use an NFC-capable key to log in from our mobile website. In Firefox can currently be enabled through an addon support.
How do I turn on login approvals?
Login approvals are a security feature similar to login alerts, but with an extra security step. If you turn on login approvals, you'll be asked to enter a special security code each time you try to access your Facebook account from a new computer, mobile device or browser.
To turn on login approvals:
- Go to your Security Settings
- Click on the Login Approvals section
- Check the box and click Save Changes